The first case of coronavirus in New York has been confirmed by Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

On Sunday, Cuomo released a statement confirming the disturbing news. According to the information, the woman is in her 30s and is currently in isolation in her Manhattan home.

According to The Wall Street Journal reported, she contracted the virus when she was traveling abroad in Iran and had been experiencing respiratory symptoms but was not in serious condition and has been in a "controlled situation" upon her arrival in New York, Cuomo said.

"The positive test was confirmed by New York's Wadsworth Lab in Albany, underscoring the importance of the ability for our state to ensure efficient and rapid turnaround, and is exactly why I advocated for the approval from Vice President Pence that New York was granted just yesterday," Cuomo said in the statement. 

"There is no reason for undue anxiety — the general risk remains low in New York. We are diligently managing this situation and will continue to provide information as it becomes available."

The news comes a day after the federal government approved the state of New York to test for coronavirus.

On Sunday, the Rhode Island Department of Health confirmed the first case of the new COVID-19 coronavirus. The person is in their 40s and had traveled to Italy in mid-February. 

"At this point time, the general level of risk for Rhode Islanders is low. There is no need for panic, there is no need to be frightened," Democratic Gov. Gina Raimondo said at the press conference.